Wednesday 28 January 2015

Winter Wonderland

The bite of the cold hurt as I scurried along the jet bridge into the Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport. With a 24-hour flight behind me and needing a breath of fresh air, I figured I was prepared to face the Canadian winter. Wearing flip-flops, tights and a t-shirt, I emerged into the bone-chilling, nostril freezing, insanity of -28 degrees C. Having arrived from Hat Yai, Thailand where the annual average temperature is 30 degrees C, it is needless to say I was seriously unprepared. Even after putting on sweatpants, socks, mittens, a jacket and a toque, I wasn't sure that my blood would remain unfrozen in my veins. Slightly comforted by blasting hot air but more so by the company of my sister and friends, the icy roads of a Winter Wonderland unwound before us.

Buckingham Palace, St. Walburg SK

Within the next couple of months I will celebrate 2 years in Thailand. Late last summer I relocated back to Hat Yai; Thailand's 3rd largest city. The streets of Hat Yai are narrow, hard to manoeuvre a motorcycle down and yet an organized chaos. As early as 4 AM, vendors open their stalls selling anything from fresh fruits and fire-roasted chestnuts to cheap T-shirts and sun hats. This first shift of vendors closes as the first shops open around 10 AM. The afternoon, evening and late night are also time slots for vendors, all of whom can efficiently set-up/take-down as the shifts change. Freshness, ease, and availability of food and services makes living downtown convenient. This is not always the case, especially when the local village shops close at 8 PM and you live 26 km from town. "The Boonies!"

Having become comfortable living within Thai culture, lifestyle and with using the language, the paradoxes I found in Canada were numerous and often funny. Take this one for instance... My first night in Canada, I walk into a downstairs washroom and am immediately puzzled; something feels so wrong under my feet. As I look down, I cannot help the laughter that escapes in the quiet house. There is carpet on the floor, covering every square inch of space between the bathtub and toilet. Now maybe this doesn't seem too strange (it is a typically unused bathroom, winters are cold, etc) but to me, I was in shock. Thai styles bathrooms are NOT designed to be kept dry. Instead, they function as a multi-purpose room for showering, washing laundry and doing dishes. As I stifle my chuckles and proceed to wash my face (being ever so careful to not get water on the carpet) I can't help but be thankful I don't have to deal with soggy socks after using my functional washroom.

Teaching has quickly become a passion of mine since living in Thailand. I am currently operating an English Language Center and can proudly say I have 16 regular students. The kids range in age from 3-14 and make a total of 8 classes I see throughout the week. On top of that I freelance work for a couple of other Language Schools, again typically working with small groups of young students. When I initially began teaching in Thailand it was to classes of 50 students, once a week for 50 minutes. It is an entirely different atmosphere when teaching in a regular school; one where I felt that my impact was minimal. I wanted to get better at teaching. I wanted to have freedom in topics and structure of a typical lesson plan. Most of all,  I want to make a positive difference. It is great fortune to have a job where you see progress in the people you are working with every day. Don't get me wrong though, there are days when they only want to look at the koy fish or draw a picture. The relationship that a teacher has with a student is extremely important in the acquisition of the language, and I have worked on improving my Thai for communication with students and their parents. It has come to a point in my current situation that I feel as if I am making a positive change and that is not something that one can take for granted.

"Education is the most important weapon which you can use to change the world"
                                                                                                        Nelson Mandela

Having returned to Canada 7 times in as many years, I have met some amazing people along the way. My immersion into the Thai culture has brought with it many concerned and caring hearts Then, there are the fellow wanderers, likewise displaced from their home (be it short or long term). I have friends who have become a part of my family and I, theirs. For the experiences and stories we have all shared over our journeys, I thank you. For the new times that lay ahead, may our paths cross again. 

Despite being thousands of miles from each other, my blood family and I share a special bond that is irreplaceable. There have been extended periods of time with little to no communication, yet the bonds are stronger and continuing to mature. Something very special was the recognition in my nieces eyes when they realized I was in the same country as them. Days of quality time with Ava (6) and Khloe (3) were filled with crafts, puzzles, baking and of course, lots of snow! As the warmth of the wood stove filled the house, a glutinous amount of hors d'oeuvres covered the table and loved ones were around, I felt at home. 


When asked what I wanted to do in Canada I replied "I want to sit on a couch wearing sweatpants and watch football." Indeed, one Sunday morning my friends and I peeled ourselves from sleeping position to lounging and watched football all afternoon. Until recently, I have not had a refrigerator in any of my apartments and the convenience of cold pizza, beer and multiple channels in English, all playing sports, made for a perfect Football Sunday. To top it all off, that night the four of us attended an Oilers vs. Rangers hockey game. 'Nose Bleed Seats' took on an all new perspective as I squinted to find the dash of the black puck across the ice. The cold of the ice hung in the air as we celebrated our Sunday Funday. To the ladies, thank you for an amazing weekend!

As the crisp morning temperature dropped below 30 degrees C, I once again found myself scurrying between doors, backpack in tow. Four weeks in Canada recharged my battery and only deepened my gratitude to have come from such an amazing country. With 12,228 km of flying ahead (Saskatoon-Bangkok), I hunkered down on the plane and began the unthawing process. It wasn't until two days after arrival that I had re-adjusted and could once again feel 'hot'. As the new year approached, I was taking in the view of 2014's last minutes. It should be mentioned the view was from the 35th floor penthouse, overlooking the Chao Praya River in Bangkok. Party boats cruised the length of the river and short bursts of pre-midnight fireworks lit the city skyline. The clock struck and the close crackle of fireworks ignited the sky as sounds of celebration rose from the onlookers. This New Year there is much to feel great fortune for... May 2015 be filled with happiness, compassion, good health and peace.























1 comment:

  1. Hey Jess, happy to see you travelling, far from home and happily smiling!

    ReplyDelete